Physical Education Intent
Our school believes that physical education, experienced in a safe and supportive environment, is a unique and vital contributor to a pupil’s physical development and well-being. Physical Education develops the children’s knowledge, skills and understanding, so that they can perform with increasing competence and confidence in a range of physical activities. We aim to promote an enjoyment and appreciation of the benefits of a healthy lifestyle, as well as supporting the children in their development of team building skills and values, including fairness and respect.
Our intent in teaching PE is that all children will:
- Be physically active and find enjoyment in physical activity.
- Find a lasting sense of purpose, achievement and fulfilment in physical activity.
- Develop physical skills, habits and interest that will promote healthy lifestyles and good posture.
- Develop positive attitudes to physical activity including perseverance, fair play and sporting behaviour and the ability to cope with success and failure.
- Learn how physical exercise affects the body.
- Understand the need for safe practice in physical activities and know how to achieve this.
- Evaluate how well they and others perform and behave against defined criteria suggested by the teacher and suggest ways of improving performance.
- Celebrate and take pride in their achievements.
- Be encouraged to work and play with others in a range of group situations.
- Develop communication and speaking and listening skills.